New York City is blazing hot right now. It might as well be August in Puerto Rico. To avoid my hair from literally melting off my head, I try to eat as many cool things as possible. My beet Manchego salad with a cilantro lime vinaigrette keeps my body temperature down and my spirits up.
It may look dainty but it’s super filling. Plus I usually eat about two to three servings of it. Don’t judge…
The combo is just so good, I don’t really know why but it hits all the spots; earthy, creamy, salty, crunchy, tangy, and a little sweet.
I love a leafy salad but sometimes I like to mix it up. It also makes you feel like your not even eating salad, which is great for the non-salad lovers. You know who I’m talking about….
There are roasted and chilled beets, of course, with radishes, tomatoes, Manchego, and a fried egg. For those impossibly hot days, you may want to keep the entire thing cold, so replace the fried egg with a nicely chilled hardboiled one.
You can also swap in tofu, tempeh, chilled leftover rotisserie chicken, or whatever you have on hand if you’re not too fond of eggs.
The tangy dressing provides a slightly sour contrast to the richness of the egg and balances out the fattiness while aged Manchego provides the salty kick beets really need.
Beets by themselves are too sweet for me. Most people pair them with salty goat cheese, which is amazing, but Manchego might be making a run for its money.
This platter of goodness is one of those meals that satisfies the mind and body. Meaning your mind is happy because it didn’t even feel that healthy and your body is content with all those nutrients.
It’s sometimes so hard to maintain a healthy and nutritious diet but plates like these make it a little easier.
Chomp on my friends!
- • 4 beets, trimmed & peeled
- • 5 radishes, sliced
- • ⅓ cup Manchego cheese
- • 2 extra large eggs
- • 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- • ¼ cup parsley leaves, washed & dried
- • Extra virgin olive oil for roasting & sautéing
- • Salt & pepper
- • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- • 1 garlic clove, pressed
- • 1 heaping tablespoon dijon mustard
- • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- • ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- • Salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Place your beets on tinfoil, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper and make a little tinfoil purse. Place your purse in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until the beets are fork tender.
- Transfer your beets to the fridge and allow them to cool completely.
- Meanwhile make your dressing: throw the cilantro, garlic, mustard, lime juice, and olive oil in a jar with a tight lid and shake to emulsify.
- In a nonstick pan, fry your eggs over medium-high heat in olive oil until your desired doneness. (You can use hardboiled eggs too!)
- Cut the chilled beets into wedges and arrange on a plate with the radishes, tomatoes, parsley, and eggs.
- Take a vegetable peeler to skim shavings of Manchego onto the salad and drizzle over the vinaigrette. Enjoy!